Selecting a Roof Shingle Color seems like an easy task. There is no written formula that is used, every person has their own tastes. Often it is the most difficult decision when replacing a residential roof.
- Most asphalt roofing shingle manufacturers have visualization software on their websites whereby you can download a photograph of your home and apply differing styles and colors of shingles. Take advantage of this technology.
- Always get a full-size sample from the roofing contractor. Do not make a final shingle color selection from manufacturer sales brochures or minimized samples.
- Some roofing shingle colors may not be available in your geographic area, be sure to inquire with your contractor or retailer regarding availability.
- If you are changing exterior colors, be sure to get color samples of those products and compare with the shingle color used in replacing a residential roof.
- Once color preferences have been narrowed, ask the roofing contractor for the address or location of some homes where complete installs have been performed. It’s worth the time to drive by and have a look.
- We recommend observing other homes in your area, particularly noting different combinations of exterior facades such as trim, brick, stone and/or siding. Determine those homes that you like vs. those that you do not like.
- Pay close attention to the varying colors of the granules on the sample. Most asphalt shingles contain a mixture of various granules that make up the overall color. Matching some of the granule colors to the existing trim colors or other exterior components help to “connect” the roof color with the aspects of the exterior of the home.
- A general guideline to follow when choosing an asphalt roof is to choose a darker color than the body of your house. There's something grounded and solid about the look that really works and reads more classic.
If you are in need of a roofing contractor in the Greater Boston and North Shore area, call Roof Repairs Co. You can expect durability and affordability in all our roofing systems. Contact Us or Call 617-846-0900.